The Training Package Development Handbook (TPDH) has been superseded
Please Refer to the New Standards & Policies for Training Packages
Assessment Guidelines - What are they?
Assessment within the National Skills Framework is the process of collecting evidence and making judgements about whether competency has been achieved to confirm whether an individual can perform to the standards expected in the workplace, as expressed in the relevant endorsed unit of competency.
The endorsed units of competency are the benchmarks for assessment. As such, they provide the basis for nationally recognised Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualifications and Statements of Attainment issued by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). Assessment leading to nationally recognised AQF qualifications and Statements of Attainment in the vocational education and training sector must meet the requirements of the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) as expressed in the AQTF 2007 Essential Standards for Registration.
Assessment guidelines: an industry framework for assessing competency in the specified industry, industry sector or enterprise. Assessments should be valid, reliable, flexible and fair and consistent with the Essential Standards for Registration under the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF 2007).
While Assessment Guidelines mainly consist of mandatory agreed text, there is the capacity to add industry specific examples where agreed by industry. Consultation with representatives from key groups (for example, peak disability organisations) may provide relevant examples that can enhance opportunities and outcomes for the diverse range of learners, for example by including expanded information on possible reasonable adjustments.
The Assessment Guidelines must be followed to ensure the integrity of assessment leading to nationally recognised qualifications and Statements of Attainment.
The mandatory text provides information on the following:
- Assessment System Overview
- Benchmarks for Assessment
- Australian Quality Training Framework Assessment Requirements
- Registration of Training Organisations
- Quality Training and Assessment
- Assessor Competency Requirements
- Assessment Requirements
- Assessment Strategies
- National Recognition
- Access and Equity and Client Outcomes
- Monitoring Assessments
- Recording Assessment Outcomes
- Issuing AQF qualifications and Statement of Attainment
- Licensing/Registration Requirements
- Requirements for Assessors
- Learning and assessment pathways
- Assessment only, or recognition of prior learning pathway
- Combination of pathways
- Assessor requirements
- Assessor competencies
- Designing assessment tools
- Use of assessment tools
- Using prepared assessment tools
- Developing assessment tools
- Conducting assessment
- Mandatory assessment requirements
- Assessment of employability skills
- Access and equity
- Reasonable adjustments
- Further sources of information
- Contact information.
Print this page | last updated: 10 Oct 2012 1:36pm